“I think the food is a massive help but the work that you do in sorting everyone’s problems out with them helps so, so, so much.”
On Thursday 1st February 2024 the St Giles East of England team came together to celebrate one year of impact at their Magdalen Street Pantry in Norwich, having welcomed over 1300 visits from members of the local community within this time, the equivalent of over 100 households, including 109 children.
A unique model, The Pantry offers nutritious food, expert advice and support through trained staff and volunteers; many of whom have experienced the same issues facing the people they support today.
Alongside the number of visitors, The Magdalen Street Pantry team, which is currently made up of 9 members of staff and volunteers, has provided 500 one-to-one support sessions to help the people they support break the cycle of food poverty for good.
This holistic approach stops their clients from falling through the gaps in services and helps to build foundations to support the whole person and create lasting impact.
“Thank you, you’ve been brilliant. It’s really helped. It’s just nice to feel listened to.”
A recent client impact survey showed that of those who had used The Pantry:
- 100% felt ‘more connected to their community’
- 91% said they are ‘eating more fruit and veg’
- 83% said ‘their finances had improved since using The Pantry’
- 78% said their ‘mental health had improved’
Alongside the human impact, The 5-star hygiene rated Pantry has saved over 11.1 tonnes worth of food otherwise destined for landfill. This is the equivalent of 265,655 meals with an estimated retail value of £17,543.18.
Thank you to the funders, staff, volunteers and members of the local community for helping St Giles deliver lasting change for the people of Norwich.
“The Pantry is brilliant – it’s really helpful. I can’t thank you enough!”
One Year Of Impact In Numbers
- 1300 Pantry Visits
- 500 one-to-one support sessions
- 9 current members of staff and volunteers
- Over 100 households supported
- 247 people in total, including 109 children
- 11.1 tonnes of food saved from ending up in landfill with an estimated retail value of £17,543.18
- 5 Star Hygiene Rated Facility
Connect with St Giles via: